Friday, July 11, 2008

"Business As Usual For Popular Downtown Restaurant Following Fire"

This is a bit odd.


The owner of a popular Downtown Mexican Restaurant [sic] doesn't plan to let his customers miss a meal, despite an early morning fire.

The flames at the Piedras Negras de Noche restaurant lit up the sky around 2:30 a.m. Friday. The restaurant, which is located on Laredo street, has been around for nearly 30 years.


"We had to force entry into the building. Uh, the fire had advanced up to the second and third floor. Uh, it was pretty deep seeded by the time firefighters arrived on the scene," said District Fire Chief Neil Ague.

The fire was caused by an electrical short and is being ruled accidental.

Despite the fire, it was business as usual for the front restaurant, which serves breakfast.

How can a restaurant open for business after a major fire with damages in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? Would the health department really think this was a good idea?

On the other hand, I think the waitresses were fully clothed, so they don't have to worry about the city shutting them down.


AlanDP said...

That place has always looked sort of death-trappish to me.

Dave said...

Don't mind the burnt smell, it's just a crispy tortilla...

Yeesh. I recall when my wife burnt down our kitchen, and we were able to stay in the house (it really wasn't that bad), but that is a smell that just doesn't go away between 2:30am and breakfast.

Albatross said...

I'm not sure I know where the place is, but many of the small taco houses do have a run-down look to them.

Dave, do you have a review of Piedras Negras?

Kels said...

Well, they probably wouldn't have to worry about food not being fully cooked... ;) *ba-dum-cha!*

Anonymous said...

They have an annex next door to the old restaurant. It's actually a converted Pizza Hut. It's where they usually serve lunch.