Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A noose in an art park

Art or insensitivity?

You decide.
SAN ANTONIO -- Is it art? Or an offensive symbol of racism? That's what some people passing a popular sculpture garden on the Northwest Side are asking about a large noose seen hanging from a tree.

That noose is hanging from a tree in the 11,300 block of Vance Jackson Rd. Some people passing by are calling it disturbing. The 30-foot-long hangman's noose is draped over a tree at Sculptors Dominion.

...

The founder of Sculptors Dominion, Gilbert Barrera declined to talk to News 4 WOAI on camera. But he says the rope's an art piece by 85-year-old Hill Country artist James Cayton. He says it's titled "The National Political Necktie."

However, Derwyn Anderson says, “I don't see anything artistic about it. I only see death of a people. Fear factor. I'm really outraged."
(from WOAI-TV)

I don't know about you, but whenever I see a noose I always think about Tuco and Blondie.
[Tuco has captured Blondie and is planning to hang him]
Tuco: Get on that stool and put the rope around your neck. I have a different system, my friend; I don't shoot the rope, I shoot the legs from under the stool.
[Sound of distant rumbling]
Tuco: Even when Judas hanged himself there was thunder.
Man With No Name: That might be cannon fire.
Tuco: Thunder or cannon fire, it's all the same to you. Adios, Blondie.

No comments: