Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pondering a trilemma

I'm not sure what to do.

There's this guy who periodically drives around (or walks around, I guess; I really don't know how he does it) and sticks one of these stupid business cards on each of the vehicles he can get to on the street and in various parking lots.





And my vehicle happens to be one of those that this guy has absolutely no problem sticking things on. He obviously does this as a form of free advertising (I've blurred the pertinent information so as not to further his efforts), but I can't help seeing it as nothing more than littering.

I don't want his business cards on my car. He leaves them without my permission. But I can't just take them off and throw them on the ground because then I am the one who would be littering. And I hate throwing them into my car because then it places the burden of disposing of these pieces of trash squarely on my shoulders.

But I'm also not sure what I can do about it. The way I see it, I have three options.

1. I can call the guy and tell him to please stop it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this practice annoying, but without knowing who I am or what my car looks like, how can I reasonably expect him to avoid my one car out of so many on the street? And that's assuming he's a decent guy who might actually have some concern for other people and who is mindful of his actions and their consequences. For all I know, he's an ass, and he might just laugh in my figurative face.

2. I can drive over to his place and throw these damn cards on his doorstep. Sure, it's littering, but it's being done on his private property to the same extent he's doing it on my private property. But it's also kinda passive-aggressive, and there's no guarantee he'll get the message without me confronting him directly at the time. After all, he might just think he dropped the cards himself while going out on one of his advertising sprees.

3. I can do nothing. I can always just accept his crap and throw the cards away later. I don't like this option, but it is the least confrontational, and I'm not one for confrontation that may never solve anything.

So, what would you do? Which of these three options do you find most appealing, or do you have any other options you might suggest? I'm all ears.


Oh, and the Bible verse that's referenced on that card? It goes like this:
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
I guess that's why he only cuts men's hair.

4 comments:

mick said...

How about a "no soliciting" sign on your dashboard?

Dave said...

He should be careful. One of the cars he places his card on might get the idea it needs a haircut and just drive right into the next available chair.

Stranger things have happened.

Albatross said...

Dave, you got that right. Automobiles don't like to be messed with.

Mick, what about a "no soliciting" taser?

Too harsh?

mick said...

I'd say sign first, then taser... but that would be less satisfying.