Saturday, July 14, 2012

One of the saddest sounding headlines I've ever read

Is this:

"No ‘beer machine' at Alamo"

No, I'm not taking a stand on whether or not it's a good idea to allow alcohol sales at private events after hours on the grounds of the Alamo. I'm expressing amazement at the notion that there could be such a thing as a "beer machine", for which I'm imagining a fully-functioning robotic unit that dispenses beer with mechanical precision (preferably while rolling around on tracks or mounted to a mech frame), not just a pressurized tap. And then I'm realizing that such a thing is not a thing, and that it will never be available to me at the Alamo.

And I'm a little sad.

3 comments:

Dave said...

A beer machine would make the Alamo a more enjoyable place to defend from invaders.

FYI: When I showed up to my first military assignment out of tech school in 1982 or 1983, I was shocked to see that in my dormitory, they actually did have a beer machine. It was nothing more than your standard coke machine, but it was filled with 12 oz cans of beer. Mostly Bud, but a few British brands. 75 cents a pop!

Sabra said...

You will just have to keep walking across the street to get your beer.

Albatross said...

Dave, a co-worker of mine said he used to live in Japan, and that he remembers seeing beer-dispensing machines like that over there. Except they dispensed Japanese beer, of course.

I still think such machines would be so much more awesome if they included robotics as well. Or tank treads. And, if anyone could do something like that with a vending machine, it would be the Japanese.

I still have hopes.