Monday, January 28, 2008

"Man Uses Baby Death Story to Get Drug Money"

A Seguin man gets his drug money the really old-fashioned way: he begs for it.

From WOAI:

Police say Fidencio Magallanes, Jr. went door-to-door asking for money to pay for an infant's funeral. Officers arrested the 26-year-old after getting a call from the funeral home's director.

Police say he wanted the money to buy drugs. He's been charged with a probation violation. It's unknown if any additional charges will be filed.


I don't know if panhandling door-to-door is a crime, but it's not very far removed from the people who knock on your door and try to sell you subscriptions you don't want. Really. I've been hit up by guys who have practically begged me to buy magazines from them. OK, actually I mean literally begged me.

At least the infant funeral angle is a new one.

5 comments:

Dave said...

That's a new low. But not sure he should have been arrested. Maybe a swift kick in the pants.

Albatross said...

Yeah, I'm not sure the guy should have been arrested either, unless an admission of wanting to do drugs can be a crime in itself. I think that's a stretch, if that's the case.

Anonymous said...

Actually, he was arrested for violating his probation, not for the funeral scam.

Albatross said...

I will admit I'm a bit uninformed on the topic, but is an admission of a desire to do drugs a violation of probation, or was there something else he was doing that got him in trouble?

tpmjr2004 said...

This guy is actually my next door neighbor. He doesn't have a job and all he does is prey on the innocent. Earlier this week I caught him standing in my apartment behind the locked door. He doesn't care about people's feelings, all he cares about is the money for his addiction. He did actually have a baby but it died 8 months ago so he knows how generous people are when it comes to children. This is a person I really want off the streets. The world will be a better place without him