And now he seems baffled that some people don't find the smell quite right.
Deputy City Manager Pat DiGiovanni said late Tuesday that he made a regrettable, embarrassing mistake by not recusing himself from a committee charged with selecting a construction company for a $300 million Convention Center expansion project because of a potential conflict of interest.
DiGiovanni, 54, said he is drafting a letter to the city's Ethics Review Board that he expects to file this week to determine whether he violated the city's policies.
He served on a bid review committee while negotiating a new job with a nonprofit whose vice chairman has a financial stake in the Convention Center project, the San Antonio Express-News reported last week.(from the Express-News)
DiGiovanni accepted a job as CEO of the Centro Partnership, a nonprofit created to encourage downtown development, the day before he sat on a panel hearing presentations from four companies vying for the Convention Center project. The panel ultimately recommended the project go to a joint venture of Phoenix, Ariz.-based Hunt Construction Group and San Antonio-based Zachry Corp.
Guess who's vice chairman of the Centro Partnership: David Zachry.