Saturday, January 08, 2011

Murder rates dropping

This is certainly good news. Whether or not you think it's strange that murder rates are dropping significantly in San Antonio doesn't change the fact that it bodes well for all of us here.
SAN ANTONIO -- San Antonio Police investigated a 25-year low of 79 murders in 2010, the third straight year murder rates declined, said Chief William McManus.

After 119 murder investigations in 2008, the number dropped to 99 in 2009, then dropped again by 20 this past year.

"This is very welcome news, and I think it's indicative of the hard work of our police department," said San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro.
(from KSAT-12)

Let's hope this trend continues.

5 comments:

Charlene said...

A similar drop has been going on here in Louisville. I believe it has to do with the economy.

Albatross said...

I'm not sure I follow, Charlene. A bad economy means people murder less?

Sabra said...

I remember a couple of times in the early '90s when the murder rate topped 300. Never thought I'd see the day when it was under 100, but I'm sure glad for it.

Keith Alan K said...

My theory is that we've already gotten rid of most of the people who really NEED to be killed. Maybe they've moved to Austin.

Albatross said...

Maybe they've moved to Austin.

They left their food trucks behind, though.