Sunday, July 26, 2009

"SUV Sails Off I-35 Overpass"

Watch out for things in the road.
A black Jeep Liberty crashed nose-first into the asphalt of the AT&T Parkway Saturday night, plummeting more than 16 feet off the I-35 overpass.

Police say the driver of the SUV swerved to miss an object on the highway believed to be a folding table, and in the process lost control, struck the guardrail and plunged off the highway onto the roadway below.
(from KSAT-12)

The injuries are reported to be non-life-threatening, which is good.

But this goes to show that just about anything can end up on the blacktops of our daily commutes, and we'd do well to stay alert. One time, right on IH-10 between Vance Jackson and Crossroads, I had to swerve to avoid an entire chest of drawers. It makes me wonder how people can lose significant portions of their loads without noticing or without bothering to at least move it off the roadway.

1 comment:

Sabra said...

We called SAPD nonemergency (when the city help-line never answered) one Saturday evening about a twin mattress in the left lane of I-35 southbound right by Grady's, where we were headed to dinner. Desk sergeant said they'd contact public works and have someone sent out. We were in the restaurant maybe 30 - 45 minutes, came out, and there was a car stalled out or wrecked on top of the mattress.

Mind you, this was broad daylight, but the mattress also happened to be almost the color of the freeway. I didn't see it til I was almost on top of the exit; if I hadn't been getting off where I was, there's a good chance I'd have caught it.