Saturday, November 17, 2007

But, is it ocean-front property?

Watch out who you give money to. The sell may be hard, the offer may sound nice, but -- just think about it.

From KENS-5:

A former Lackland Air Force Base medic is selling the moon by the acre, and some folks in San Antonio have decided to buy a piece of the rock.

About 50 San Antonians own lunar property. You can buy an acre for $19.99, plus tax.

... In 1980, Dennis Hope was looking for a way to get some money when he had an epiphany.

"I looked out the window at 2:30 in the afternoon while I was doing this thought process, and I saw the moon and I thought, 'There's a lot of property,'" said Hope.

It seemed like lunacy until he researched the 1967 Outer Space Treaty. It was signed by the United Nations, the United States, and the former Soviet Union.

The treaty prevents any sovereign nation from claiming ownership of any galactic property, but states nothing about an individual or company.

"So, I wrote a declaration of ownership for the moon of earth and the other eight planets and their moons and sent it to the UN, the U.S., and the Russians, along with a note stating if they had a legal problem with what I did to let me know and I wouldn't sell the property. And I've never heard from them on that note," said Hope.

Hope is "absolutely" positive that he owns the moon and the eight planets, and there's nothing one can do about making the same claim. [emphases added]

Well, he might want to check with R.G. Griffing, first.

No comments: