Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Homeowner Shocked Over Big Water Bill"

The house I live in is just under 2,000 square feet. My water bill is about $50 a month.

So, check out this guy. (from KSAT-12)

Vikas Bhatnager said he nearly collapsed when he opened his water bill of $868.

"I heard water was expensive in San Antonio, but I thought, wow, that's really expensive."

Bhatnager said the bill is the first he's received since moving into his new 3,800-square-foot home with his wife and 6-year-old daughter.

He said the bill was no mistake and BexarMet found no leaks after inspecting his water system.

"It turns out I used 123,000 gallons of water," Bhatnager said. "I don't know how I could have consumed that water."

Hmm. I also wonder how he could have used that much water.

BexarMet said Bhatnager ran his sprinkler system twice a day, seven days a week, which could have used up to 400 gallons per day. [emphases added]

Yeah, that might be how.

I understand Bhatnager has a new home, and you have to water new sod a lot to get it well established. But still, that's a lot of water. He must have a lot of sod.

7 comments:

AlanDP said...

Remember all the rain we had this summer? I saw sprinklers going here and there the whole time. People set the timers, and then forget about it.

That's 16,442 cubic feet! I've never seen consumption that high. Yikes.

Albatross said...

With all the rain, you would think the watering of lawns would be almost unnecessary. Much less twice a day.

Dave said...

Catfish Farm?

Albatross said...

Ah, Dave brings up the infamous Living Waters Catfish Farm. I remember it well.

Vikas B said...

I am the guy we are talking about ;-) Actually I watered the lawns twice a day only initially. When it was raining, I had my sprinkler system turned off. There is no way I could have consumed that water.

Dave said...

Vikas, I believe you didn't water during the rain. But the more important question is, what do you get for a pound of Catfish, and do you have onion rings too?

Just kidding. Best of luck with your water bill.

Albatross said...

Catfish without onion rings? Only if you've got some fried okra instead.

Seriously, though, a house that large is going to have a large water bill, but almost $900 for one month is pretty crazy. If I were you, Vikas, I might consider getting another inspection for leaks.