Thursday, January 18, 2007

"French envoy to talk trade, Mideast in S.A."

The French ambassador is coming to San Antonio. Hooray!

From Gary Martin's article in the Express-News:

WASHINGTON — Jean-David Levitte, the French ambassador to the United States, will discuss France's perspective on the Middle East and the trade climate between America and Europe in an appearance today in San Antonio.

Levitte is meet [sic] with South Texas business leaders and students at the University of Texas at San Antonio during a daylong swing through the city.


I'm not sure what prompted Mr. Levitte to make an appearance in San Antonio. I can't think of any obvious connections to France that this town has.

But here's an odd bit from Mr. Martin's article that I did not know:
The United States and France share extensive trade ties, which, along with direct investment, has integrated the two economies.
Integrated? The economies of France and the U.S. are now one unified whole? I highly doubt that. We may have important trade ties to France, but I don't think our economy's well-being is entirely dependent on the French economy. I could be wrong, but I am skeptical, to say the least.

No comments: