Thursday, August 26, 2010

Did you know?

In downtown San Antonio, there is an old observatory.




Really. It's back there, on top of that old building, which sits next to the Municipal Auditorium.





I've noticed that thing for many years, but I have no idea who owns it or what its history is. I doubt it's used anymore, because I don't think you could get a decent look at the stars in the middle of the central business district, but it's still cool to look at from the street.

Anybody else out there know anything about this old landmark?

3 comments:

Keith Alan K said...

It's a lawyer's office now. Back in '05 I checked it out and there was a small and cheap telescope in place--obviously not the original one.

AlanDP said...

My guess is it was originally a private residence back in the olden days before electric street lights.

Albatross said...

Wow, Keith, you got a chance to go up there? I wonder how old that thing really is.

And, Alan, I bet back then that structure was probably on the edge of town. The city has sure grown a lot in about a hundred years or so.