Tuesday, June 17, 2008

History in the sidewalk

Alan at Blogonomicon shows off a picture of a piece of history imprinted into the sidewalk many decades ago on Florida Street, and he talks about more.
I guess these were little bits from or about people who lived there or had lived there. In a couple of places they had also somehow managed to screen some grayscale photos directly onto the concrete. One of them was a photo of someone "presiding over the soda counter" at one of the old Pig Stand restaurants in 1938.

Absolutely cool stuff!

3 comments:

AlanDP said...

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I also noticed yesterday that the vacant lot next to Hooker HQ, you know, the house all those people want to condemn so they can tear it down, has had all the "art" removed. There is now a hand-painted sign that says, "COMING SOON HISPANIC NATIONAL BANK." I thought that was strange. I tried to get a photo, but I would've had to get closer than I wanted to. Lots of people still hanging around there that don't look safe to approach to closely.

Albatross said...

Hmm. That is strange. I wonder what makes them think such a location would be ideal for a bank.

AlanDP said...

Well, I don't think they mean it's going to be a real bank. I think it's their idea of some kind of satirical commentary.

Or maybe he's going to start loansharking.